How well do you know your Cat?
I personally am not a cat owner, but I know a lot of my readers probably are. So I thought it would be neat to post some interesting facts about cats to test your cat knowledge.
20 Little Known Facts about Cats
- Cats have only been domesticated half as long as dogs have.
- A cat will lose just as much body fluid while grooming as it will from urination.
- The first domesticated cat arrived in America on the Mayflower.
- America’s only native pure-bred cat is the Maine coon cat.
- Female cats are what’s called superfecund. This means each kitten in a litter may have a different father.
- For the cats that will only eat dog food. This can cause them to go blind because dog food lacks the essential cat nutrient taurine.
- A cat purrs at the same frequency as an idling diesel engine.
- Most pure white, blue-eyed cats are deaf.
- In 1930 the average life expectancy of a cat was 8 years. It has now reached 16 years.
- Only 20% of cats actually get “high” from catnip, because the required gene is lacking.
- 30% of a cats lifetime is spent grooming, while 65% is spent sleeping.
- The record for the largest litter of kittens is held by an English cat – 19 kittens, 15 of which survived, this was in 1970.
- There was a cat in Texas that had given birth to around 420 kittens during her lifetime.
- Texas is also the home to the longest living cat, Creme Puff, who lived to the ripe age of 38.
- Cats are successful in catching mice in merely one third of their attempts.
- Aspirin and antifreeze are fatal for cats, garlic and onions are also considered bad.
- Why are cats more attracted to women than men. Because the women have higher pitched voices.
- People may think they are allergic to cat hair or dander, but it is actuall sebum they are allergic to. It is a fatty substance secreted by the cat’s sebaceous glands. So the allergy may be present to one cat, but not another.
- There are currently more tigers in captivity than there are in the wild.
- In the United States alone, there are around 7 thousand “pet” large breed cats, such as tigers.
8 thoughts on “20 Little Known Facts about Cats”
I’m still on the fence about cats, just because they have a mind of their own. Making it very hard to train, LOL
I agree! I’m not much of a cat person, personally I love dogs. Cats do seem quite hard to train, although others will probably disagree. 😉
Astronomer David H. Levy once said: “Comets are like cats; they have tails, and they do precisely what they want.” I love both: dogs and cats. Interesting facts here!
Hi Alex, thanks for that cool quote, I appreciate you sharing that with us. We should probably be calling it a fact instead of a quote 🙂 Glad you stopped by and hope you enjoyed the list of cat facts.
Very interesting! I didn’t know the majority of these things but I sure am glad to know now. Thanks for sharing. While I may not know my cat better now, I did enjoy reading this post nonetheless.
I’m really glad you enjoyed the read Maddie. Thanks for stopping by!
Comments are closed.